TRADITIONAL MOUNTAIN HUTSSwiss mountain refuges offer food and drink and welcome shelter and are often a destination in themselves. There’s no better way to hike the Alps than by travelling from cabin to cabin, spending the nights tucked snugly under a fluffy duvet after a hearty meal in the company of your fellow travellers.
This charming mountain inn is accessible summer and winter. In summer, this is one of the stops on the Tour des Dents du Midi but is also accessible by car. In winter, we are the perfect home base for cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and hiking.
Online reservation Monthey
Soaring alpine peaks, a crystalline mountain lake, marmots, ibex… this is a nature-lover’s paradise!
Online reservation Salvan
Overlooking the Illiez Valley, this quaint mountain hut is nestled in a scenic valley near two small mountain lakes, backed by a magnificent rocky cirque at the foot of the Haute Cime.
Nestled snugly in the heart of the Susanfe Valley amongst impressive blocks of erratic granite, the iconic Cabane de Susanfe has been welcoming weary alpine hikers since 1932.
The Cantine de Barmaz, a charming mountain restaurant, is the ideal stopping place for nature lovers, hikers and families. Open from May to October, depending on snow conditions.
Built in 1906 in the tranquil Barme valley, the Cantine des Dents Blanches was originally an alpine farm. Today it is a lovely mountain restaurant, popular with hikers and nature lovers.
Online reservation Champéry
The Refuge de Bonaveau is a picturesque mountain refuge, perched on a bucolic alpine plateau between Grand Paradis and the Susanfe Valley.
This idyllic alpine pasture in the heart of Les Portes du Soleil, easily accessible on foot or by chairlift, is a popular picnic destination for families and a renowned fishing spot!
A deserved view after a great effort, stretching from the Bernese Alps to the Mt-Blanc through the 4’000 Valaisans, and overlooking the dam and the Salanfe lake.
This idyllic mountain hut is a bustling, traditional ‘alpage’ where Hubert and Maureen provide a warm welcome and an authentic experience of daily life on an alpine farm.
- In Champéry, stay a night at the iconic Cabane de Susanfe, a stopping point on the famous Tour des Dents du Midi, Tour des Dents Blanches and Tour de Ruan multi-day hikes. The Lapisa and Bonaveau huts as well as the Cantines de Barmaz and Dents Blanches offer cosy, rustic beds for mountain-lovers who want to stay a little closer to home.
- In Les Crosets, the Chaupalin rural gîte offers breathtaking views of the Illiez Valley and the Dents du Midi. Higher up, you can savour local products and local culinary specialties at the Refuge de Chesery on the shores of Lac Vert.
- High above Val-d’Illiez, at 2,025 meters above sea level, the quaint Anthème hut is nestled in a spectacular rocky cirque at the foot of the Haute Cime.
- In Troistorrents, the recently-renovated Alpage La Chaux is a lovely example of traditional Illiez architecture.
- In Salvan, the Auberge de Salanfe perches on the shores of the crystalline Lake Salanfe, at the foot of the Dents du Midi.
If you like the feeling of sleeping close to nature but prefer lower altitudes and better proximity to the villages, you might like to visit our campsites in Champéry or Morgins.